Olympians Queen Harrison, Will Claye
Bound for Armory Indoor Track & Field Camp
Other Elite Athletes, Top Coaches to Provide Up-Close, Invaluable Training to High School Track & Field Student-Athletes
NEW YORK, September 12, 2018 – The country’s premier track & field athletes will be at The Armory on November 17 to provide invaluable training sessions to high school student-athletes during the 2nd Annual Armory Indoor Track & Field Camp.
“The Armory Indoor Track & Field Camp is headed into its 2nd year and we look to build on the success of the event’s inaugural year,” said Aaron Robison, Director of The Armory Indoor Track & Field Camp. “This year we have been able to secure several of the top athletes in the world.”
Among a Who’s Who list of track & field athletes attending The Armory’s camp include:
- Will Claye, a 3-time Olympic medalist, 3-time World Championship medalist and 2-time World Indoor champion.
- Queen Harrison, a 2008 Olympian and the only college athlete to win both the 100m and 400m hurdles.
- Asha Ruth, the anchor on the 2018 American record setting 4×200 relay team.
- Donn Cabral, a 2-time Olympian in the 3000m Steeplechase.
- Priscilla Frederick, a 2016 Olympian and Pan Am Silver medalist.
- Kyle Merber, an Ivy League indoor mile record holder and member of World Record Distance Medley Relay team.
- Maria Michta-Coffey, a two-time Olympian and owner of four consecutive USATF Championship Mile Race Walk titles.
Top coaches committed to The Armory Indoor Camp include:
- Lisa Morgan, the current head track & field coach at Bloomfield College (N.J.) and formerly Columbia High School coach where her program averaged three Division I scholarship athletes per year.
- Andy Capellan, the current head track & field coach at New Rochelle High School where his program has claimed 44 county championships, 50 league titles and 37 sectional championships for Section One Class A/AA during the indoor and outdoor seasons.
- Dwayne Evans, who has coached multiple New York State and City champions and is the current assistant indoor track & field coach for Team Jamaica.
- Bart Sessa, who from 1996-2006 guided the Syosset boys team to 10 consecutive Section 8 cross country championships and the 2005 team to an indoor national record in the 4×800.
- Dominic Zanot, who recently led Harrison High School to its 8th consecutive track & field league championship and 10th in the last 12 years.
- Scott Menin, the current head throw coach for AOC, an AAU club team in Pennsylvania that has produced 21 national medalists and three national champions during 22 seasons. He also coaches at Cheltenhwam High School where he’s guided his team to six Pennsylvania AAA State girls championships.
- Tim St. Lawrence, who is the Director of acclaimed Hudson Valley Flying Circus (Orange County) where he has coached 10 athletes with jumps more than 16 feet including a former New York state record holder.
- Brian Leggett, who is a former MAAC Pole Vault champion for Rider University, is a current coach at Hudson Valley Flying Circus.
- Matt Ellis, is the owner of Primal Athlete Training Center and Elite Throws Coaching in Rhode Island. He has coached 16 Rhode Island state champions in the shot put and discus and has authored more than 750 “how to throw” videos for his YouTube channel Elite Throws Coaching.
New this year will be both a morning and afternoon session. High school student-athletes can sign up for one or both sessions where they have an opportunity to train alongside track & field athletes who have excelled around the world in their respective fields.
“Queen Harrison is the only athlete to ever win both the long and short hurdles at the NCAA Championships and has also made an Olympic Team in the long hurdles and several US teams in the short hurdles,” Robison said. “She’s one of the best technicians in the sport.
“Additionally, we have been able to secure Will Claye, the most dynamic horizontal jumper in American track & field history. At the 2012 Olympics Will medaled in both the long and triple jump, becoming the first athlete since 1936 to do so in both events. Will has three Olympic medals, three World Championship medals and has won World Indoors twice.
“These two are the headliners, but every event is filled with NCAA All-Americans, National Champions and Olympians. You couple that with the coaches we have coming and it’s sure to be a remarkable day for all those in attendance.”
Registration and cost for the camp includes:
- Early Bird Pricing through September 17 is $85 for either the morning or afternoon session and includes one session of instruction, camp shirt, bag and access to digital instructional information provided by camp coaches.
- Regular Pricing from September 18 through October 31 is $110 for either the morning or afternoon session and includes one session of instruction, camp shirt, bag and access to digital instructional information provided by camp coaches.
- Late Registration Pricing from November 1 through November 17 is $135 for either morning or afternoon session and includes instruction, camp shirt, bag and access to digital instructional information provided by camp coaches.
For more information about The Armory Indoor Track & Field camp, go to www.armorycamp.org.
About The Armory Foundation
The Armory is a New York City non-profit institution, with the mission of “Keeping Kids on Track.” Each season The Armory — the proud home of the NYRR Millrose Games — hosts more than 100 track & field meets and welcomes more than 180,000 athlete visits. Among its many youth sports and educational programs, including the acclaimed Armory College Prep program, The Armory runs the leading collegiate indoor track meet with the Dr. Sander Invitational, and hosts the largest high school indoor track meets with the 25th Hispanic Games, The New Balance Games, and the New Balance Nationals Indoors. The Armory also runs The Armory NYC Indoor Marathon Presented by New York Road Runners, which is the world’s largest indoor marathon relay. The Armory is also the home to the National Track & Field Hall of Fame and dozens of very large education-focused events. For more: Please visit Armory.NYC and ArmoryTrack.com.